Spreading Quality Improvement (SQI) Physician Lead
- Organization Vancouver Coastal Health / Providence Health Care
- Location Flexible
- Closing Date Open Until Filled
Status: 0.5 day per week until March 31, 2023, subject to extension
Facility/Site: VCH/PHC – Flexible
Department/Area: Medical Quality Leadership & Practice
Through an innovative partnership formed in 2021 with the Specialist Services Committee (SSC), Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and Providence Health Care (PHC) are is undertaking an initiative to enable physicians to spread successful quality improvement projects across VCH/PHC. The SQI Physician Lead will work closely with the SQI Lead and Quality Departments to support the success of the initiative through collaboration with partners at Doctors of BC, particularly the Provincial Spread Physician Co-Leads and the Staff lead at SSC.
- Utilize spread principles in providing guidance and advice to spread projects including QI training to spread sending and receiving sites as needed
- Provide individual and team-based instruction, mentorship and coaching to SQI project teams to ensure they are supported to spread using the IHI Model for Improvement
- Support advancement of SQI projects through collaboration with operations, quality structures and medical staff structures
- Actively promote SQI within his/her region/community in VCH
- Support the development of proposals and selection of projects through the intake process, as appropriate
- Support active spread of projects for the physicians of VCH to increase their capability for Spread QI
- Contribute to the identification, development, selection and monitoring of SQI projects
- Presenting to leadership tables at the invitation of SQI leadership as required
- Participation in Provincial Spread activities as required
- Actively partner with SQI lead and HA sponsor on the development of the SQI program at VCH
- Attend bimonthly PQI/SQI Steering Committee meetings and facilitate bimonthly updates and initiative discussions as required
- Participate in the SQI Knowledge Exchange meeting to work collaboratively with other health authorities to share learnings and provide guidance on development and implementation of an SQI model.
- Contribute to regular meetings with the SQI lead and, SQI Health Authority Sponsor
- Other activities as mutually agreed upon
- Successful candidate would be trained in QI methodology
- Experience in spreading and scaling up QI projects is an asset
- Candidates with executive or leadership training (e.g. MBA, Physician Management Institute or equivalent) will be considered an asset
- Training in leadership, change management, and systems thinking
- Experience leading multiple QI projects
- Demonstrated leadership skills (ability to lead teams and to promote teamwork)
- Ability to adapt readily to a rapid and changing environment and respond with initiative.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in motivating staff to be involved in continuous quality improvement.
- Excellent negotiation, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary Physician QI Teams.
- Medical Doctor in active clinical practice with current, or eligibility for, registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
- Active medical staff at VCH/PHC
This role is accountable to the VP Medicine, VCH and VP Medical Affairs, PHC with the work directed by the SSC Physician Quality Improvement and Spread Committee.
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to: Amy.Chang@vch.ca
Position is open until filled.
VCH/PHC is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGTBQIA2S+, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest and only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm the receipt of individual applications or resumes.