Quality Café – Change the Way You Talk to Change the Way You Work
Have you ever had to work up the courage to give someone feedback, because you hated to deliver “bad news”, even in a nice way? Have you ever been given a “compliment” that somehow made you feel worse? Or have you ever been on the receiving end of gossip about a co-worker and didn’t know how to respond? Our workplaces can be full of pitfalls and perils in how we communicate, but we can also use language to shape our culture into one that fosters learning and growth.
This Quality Café explores how our use of language can impact our culture, such as:
- The pitfalls of how we praise
- The risks in using rules to shape behaviour
- The unintended consequences of constructive criticism
Using the research of authors Kegan and Lahey (Seven Languages for Transformation), you’ll discover how these concepts apply to your own organization. You’ll also have an opportunity to practice so that you can start putting these ideas to use right away.
Presenter Shari Furniss is an educator with a passion for leveraging the power of learning to transform people and organizations.
Download the handouts from this Quality Café:
- From the Language of Prizes and Praising to the Language of Ongoing Regard
- From the Language of Constructive Criticism to the Language of Deconstructive Criticism
- From the Language of Rules and Policies to the Language of Public Agreement