The Productive Operating Theatre (TPOT)
- Developed by the NHS Institute in the United Kingdom, teams have implemented The Productive Operating Theatre around the world including right here in BC.
- Provides a modular approach to deliver significant improvements in safety, efficiency and patient care.
- Empowers point of care perioperative teams to prioritize improvements based on information the team collects. This includes engagement of other departments such as medical device reprocessing, housekeeping, biomed, and material management.
- Specific perioperative modules assist the teams in their improvement process from booking to discharge.
Here is a PDF handout about TPOT that you can print out and distribute to colleagues.
What does it mean to participate?
- Recruit a multidisciplinary team which includes Physician, Nursing, and Hospital Administration.
- Form a multidisciplinary site team to facilitate implementation on a weekly basis.
- Expect physicians to contribute 2-4 hours per week, and team members to contribute 4-8 hours per week.
- Attend monthly provincial virtual sessions to share successes and challenges with other TPOT teams within BC.
- A preliminary meeting with the Executive Team/Senior Management will take place to ensure commitment to the project and alignment with health authority priorities.
Please review the Organizational Readiness Assessments to determine if this is a good time for your site to participate.
At a Glance