Evidence-Based Carbohydrate Restriction: Using this Tool in a Safe and Effective Manner
|When||September 29, 2020, 1330 to 1430|
|Register||Click here to register for this event|
Eliana Witchell and Michelle Shepherd are registered dietitians with advanced knowledge using reduced carbohydrate diets in clinical practice. Eliana is Chief Dietitian for the Institute for Personalized Therapeutic Nutrition and also has a private practice called Eat; Different Rd. Michelle is CEO for Westcoast Nutrition with a long history in oncology nutrition with BC Cancer.
Please feel free to forward this on to colleagues you think may be interested!
- Acknowledge current evidence for the remission of type 2 diabetes and outline the current position of international diabetes organizations on the role of carbohydrate restriction in managing diabetes.
- Discuss the key components of an evidence-based, well-formulated, carbohydrate restricted dietary approach including key safety factors that must be taken into account when using carbohydrate restriction.
- Review the current gaps in knowledge and competency related to carbohydrate restriction as identified by Canadian dietitians.
- Outline evidence-based training, tools and resources for carbohydrate restriction currently available to Canadian dietitians.
- Review how dietitians are a vital member of the interdisciplinary team, especially with food-first approaches to help achieve remission of diabetes and chronic disease.
- Consider RD experiences using carbohydrate restriction in practice.
Pre-Webinar Reading (and Viewing) Materials:
- Diabetes Canada’s Position Statement on Low Carb Diets (Webinar)
- Diabetes Canada Position Statement on Low-Carbohydrate Diets for Adults With Diabetes: A Rapid Review (Article)
- Low Carbohydrate Diets for Adults with Diabetes – Summary (PDF)
|Eliana Witchell, MSc, RD is the Chief Dietitian Officer for the Institute for Personalized Therapeutic Nutrition where she leads the development of evidence-based tools, resources, networking, and training programs for RDs and other health professionals to safely offer food-first approaches designed to reverse or put chronic disease into remission.
She is the founder and Chief Eating Officer (CEO) of Eat ;Different RD, her virtual private practice in Ontario.
Eliana partners with medical teams (physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, pharmacists, and other clinicians) to help their patients improve health. Where appropriate, Eliana safely prescribes therapeutic carbohydrate restriction with her patients.
|Michelle is a Registered Dietitian and graduated from the University of British Columbia’s integrated program in 2009 with a BSc in Food, Nutrition and Health.
Michelle opened up Westcoast Nutrition, a full-service nutritional program dedicated to providing clients with proven, modern advice and tools to take control of their nutritional health. Whether it’s an athlete looking to better fuel their performance, or a busy professional that turns to food to cope with stress at the office, Westcoast Nutrition offers personalized nutritional advice, skill development, and the emotional support required to help clients break deeply engrained habits, and feel healthy and confident in their own skin.
She continues to teach Sports Nutrition at Langara College, and spent almost a decade with BC Cancer before shifting to full time private practice.
This webinar will be recorded and uploaded to our resources page along with other key materials shared from the session.
Interested in working together to design a different future for people living with type 2 diabetes in BC? Learn more about and join the Type 2 Diabetes Network!