Mapping is a powerful and effective tool that allows health providers to visually represent the current state of a process or journey. This is often the first step to planning improvement within a system, as it results in an observable representation that is easily understood by patients and families, clinicians, decision makers and others.
This interactive workshop will explore various approaches to mapping health care processes and experiences in support of person-centred improvement. The focus of the session will include components of process mapping, value stream mapping and patient journey mapping. We’ll also translate theory into practice by providing an opportunity to try facilitating these different types of mapping sessions and equip participants to apply what they learn in their own context.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Recognize how mapping can help facilitate person-centred improvement;
- Determine the most appropriate type of mapping for an improvement effort;
- Apply strategies for planning successful mapping sessions;
- Lead mapping sessions in a health care setting; and
- Utilize mapping outputs to drive improvement.