Quality Café: The 60-Minute Root Cause Analysis
|When||November 15, 2017, 12:00pm to 1:00pm|
|Webinar||Click here to join this event|
This Quality Café will serve as a live demonstration of the 60-Minute Root Cause Analysis (RCA). The 60-Minute RCA is an interactive workshop that uses local cases and incident reports to examine system breakdowns leading to medical errors, near misses, or adverse events with front line providers. The workshop is directed by a facilitator with a background in quality improvement and patient safety (QIPS). The audience is a group of front line providers bringing practical knowledge to develop improvements to effect change. No QIPS experience is expected or necessary for participation. The workshop will cover the following:
- the AHRQ definitions of medical errors, near misses, and adverse events
- a process map of an adverse event
- constructing an Ishikawa or fishbone diagram to understand the multifaceted causes of an error
- an introduction to hierarchy of interventions
- developing and plotting interventions on an impact/effort matrix
After seeing this demonstration, attendees will be able to adopt and adapt the 60-Minute RCA process for use on their own cases.
Hospitalist, VA Boston Healthcare System
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellow & Chief Medical Resident, Boston Medical Center
See Lakshman in action as a Quality Forum 2016 plenary speaker!