What to Expect
Participation in the Quality Academy
Participants completing the Quality Academy will receive a certificate of participation from the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council. Participants are expected to meet the following requirements to complete the program:
- attendance at all residency sessions and webinars;
- demonstration of progress and application of concepts covered through work on a quality improvement project within their organization;
- submission of monthly quality project summaries to be shared with their faculty mentor and executive sponsor;
- completion of assignments and tasks related to the development of their project as assigned by Quality Academy faculty;
- participation in the evaluation of the Quality Academy program.
A key component of the Quality Academy is the leading of a quality project that enables participants to apply the concepts, skills and knowledge gained throughout the program with support from an assigned faculty mentor. Participants are encouraged to begin exploring potential topic areas with their organization during the application process. Projects will be required to meet the following criteria:
- explicitly address one or more dimension of quality, based upon the BC Health Quality Matrix;
- relates to the strategic or business plan of the organization;
- supported by an organizational Executive Sponsor;
- has a measurable aim statement;
- progress toward the aim can be made within six months;
- has the support of a clinical champion (where the project occurs in a clinical area);
- incorporates the patient perspective; and
- baseline data is available or can be obtained for the outcome measure
Time to Participate
Participants must attend all residency sessions in order to complete the Quality Academy. During residency sessions, it is expected that participants will be free from official duties to maximize their learning opportunity. As well, participants will require adequate time and support during the 6 month program to dedicate to their quality project. This time will vary depending on the scope of the project chosen; however, experience suggests this is at least one day per week.
In the case of extraordinary circumstances, such as illness or family emergency, Quality Academy faculty will work individually with participants to cover the missed material to complete the program. Faculty will not be available to cover material missed for work related reasons.
Supports for Participants
We are committed to providing participants with a positive learning experience, both during residency sessions and when at home. To ensure participants are successful in both the residency sessions and in leading their quality project, the Quality Academy will offer a series of supports to all participants.
- A series of educational webinars will be held between residency sessions to continue the dialogue from residencies and provide additional learning.
- Each participant will have a mentor to support their learning and project progress. Participants and their mentor will connect regularly during the program through progress reports, written feedback and bi-weekly teleconference calls.
- A dedicated website for the Quality Academy will provide an additional forum for resources support. All course materials will be available on the website including additional readings, templates, contact information and a calendar of events.
- One of the most valuable resources is the combined experiences of the Quality Academy group forming a valuable network of expertise. Participants will be encouraged to connect with each other and core faculty members both during and outside of the residency sessions.
The BC Patient Safety & Quality Council provides significant funding to support the program as part of its mandate to support education and capacity building for quality across the province. However, a registration fee of $1,995 plus taxes will be charged for all program participants.
Participants will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs for the residency sessions.
Leader, Capability Development