Teamwork & Communication
How we work as a team and communicate with each other are essential elements of a healthy culture. Improving non-technical skills such as how we communicate, how we respond to the environment around us, and how we work together in a team are crucial for achieving high quality patient care.
The activities below include an overview and worksheet to guide you and/or your team in improving your communication.
Communication Style Assessment – This assessment helps you understand your communication styles and that of your team members to embrace differences and leverage strengths.
Conflict Style Assessment – This is a tool that can be used to help you assess your personal approach to conflict.
Huddles – This tool enables teams to have frequent but short briefings so that they can stay informed, review work, make plans and move ahead rapidly.
SBAR Backgrounder and Assessment – This worksheet provides a structured communication tool that can be used to bridge communication gap(s) that may exist between professions, stakeholder groups and within teams.
Team Assessment Questionnaire – This assessment can be used with your team to determine the presence or absence of trust within your team and some action steps you an take to enhance trust.
Teamwork Agreement – this is a step-by-step guide that can be used to create your own teamwork agreement.
Three W’s – This tool can be used to support a structured approach to your communication.
Teamwork & Communication Action Series
In 2017, we launched a Teamwork & Communication Action Series to help teams:
- Recognize the importance of team culture and non-technical skills
- Identify elements that contribute to successful communication
- Use new and effective tools to enhance teamwork and communication within your team
- Explore ways to effectively navigate conflict with others
- Apply foundational leadership skills for culture change
To date, three waves have been completed and an Action Series Wave 4 is anticipated to begin in Fall 2020. Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when registration launches!
Curious what the action series involve? Check out the resources from previous waves below! You will find slides, action period guides and supporting activities and reading. Webinar recordings are only available to past participants. If you completed the action series, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for the password.
The purpose of this evaluation is to examine participant feedback and pre-post outcomes of the Wave 2 of the Teamwork and Communication Action Series offered by the Council, as well as to understand key lessons. Ultimately, the evaluations seeks to answer the following questions:
- Did the content and delivery of the Action Series provide value to participants?
- What immediate impact did the Action Series have on the way they work together, communicate, navigate conflict, and trust each other?
- What improvements could be made to the structure of the Action Series which could be utilized for future Action Series?
The purpose of this evaluation is to examine participant feedback and pre-post outcomes of the Wave 1 of the Teamwork and Communication Action Series offered by the Council, as well as to understand key lessons.Read the Wave 1 Evaluation