Quality Academy Online
Quality Academy Online
We’re now accepting applications for cohort 2! Apply by June 18
A broad base of people with the capability to lead improvement is vital to advancing quality in the health care system. Quality Academy Online is a professional development program that prepares participants to champion and lead quality and safety initiatives within their organizations, and its participants come from health organizations and sectors across the province.
Adapted from our Quality Academy program, Quality Academy Online provides the same comprehensive curriculum but in a virtual learning space. In designing the program, we’ve re-imagined the learning experience while staying true to what Quality Academy is best known for: building capability to lead improvement in the health care system.
Cohort 2 of the program (September 2021-February 2022) consists of 28 sessions where participants will spend approximately 115 hours engaging in a series of supports:
What You Need to Know
- To begin, review this webpage and our program overview, FAQs and schedule for program information. Work with your direct supervisor to identify an appropriate executive sponsor and begin initial exploration of your quality project ideas with them.
- Download the Quality Academy Online Executive Sponsor Form. Please ensure that both your executive sponsor and direct supervisor review and sign the form. Once completed, save a copy to be attached to your application form.
- Complete the Quality Academy Online Application Form. You will need to attach your completed Executive Sponsor Form to your online application. Please note that you are able to save and continue your application at a later date.
- Once your Quality Academy Online Application Form and Executive Sponsor Form have been submitted, you will receive an email receipt with your completed application attached for your reference. Please note, applications will not be considered until both forms have been received.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com.
The aim of Quality Academy Online is to provide participants with the capability to effectively lead quality and safety initiatives, including teaching and advising others in the process of improving health care quality. The curriculum is designed to support participants in developing six key competencies throughout the program. The six key competencies include:
Improving quality and safety
- Demonstrate an integrative thinking approach to quality improvement.
- Recognize opportunities for improvement and generate creative ideas for change.
- Utilize a systematic process to test changes and guide implementation.
- Apply various improvement frameworks to plan, assess and evaluate quality improvement.
Process and systems thinking
- Recognize the impact of complexity and systems thinking on quality improvement initiatives.
- Define human factors and apply principles of human factors to improvement work.
- Leverage the characteristics of resiliency and reliability in health care system to support improvement.
- Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to gain support for quality improvement initiatives.
- Value and utilize patient, family, and clinician experience in system re-design and improvement.
- Utilize coaching, mentoring, teaching and facilitation techniques to engage others in quality improvement.
- Inspire enthusiasm for quality improvement.
- Provide leadership to support quality improvement projects.
- Manage a project to completion, achieving project goal(s) in an effective and efficient manner.
- Utilize a coaching approach to assist others to overcome challenges by identifying the best possible solution.
Measurement and using data
- Design an appropriate measurement plan to guide and assess improvement.
- Use data to inform decisions and guide efforts to improve quality.
- Analyze the relationship between cost and quality.
- Apply techniques to identify unintended variation.
Innovation, spread and sustainability
- Develop and implement innovative ideas to improve quality.
- Recognize the role culture in quality improvement and safety in health care.
- Incorporate sustainability into planning quality improvement initiatives.
- Utilize effective strategies to spread improvement.
Participants completing Quality Academy Online will receive a certificate of participation from us. They are expected to meet the following requirements to complete the program:
- completion of all online lessons and activities;
- attendance and participation in all learning activity forum sessions;
- demonstration of progress and application of concepts covered through work on a quality improvement project within their organization;
- submission of monthly quality project summaries to be shared with their faculty mentor and executive sponsor;
- completion of assignments and tasks related to the development of their project as assigned by Quality Academy Online faculty;
- participation in the evaluation of the Quality Academy Online program.
Time to Participate
Participants must attend all learning sessions in order to complete Quality Academy Online. During learning sessions, it is expected that participants will be free from official duties to maximize their learning opportunity. As well, participants will require adequate time and support during the six-month program to dedicate to their quality project. This time will vary depending on the scope of the project chosen; however, experience suggests it is at least one day per week.
In the case of extraordinary circumstances, such as illness or family emergency, Quality Academy Online faculty will work individually with participants to cover the missed material to complete the program. Faculty will not be available to cover material missed for work related reasons.
We’re committed to providing participants with a comprehensive learning experience. To ensure participants are successful in both the learning sessions and in leading their quality project, Quality Academy Online will offer a series of supports to all participants.
- Pre-forum Lessons – a series of online learning events to stimulate intellectual engagement. This may include short videos, articles, presentations and/or reviewing some key concepts.
- Learning Activity Forums – a series of live online learning sessions to engage with others to apply and practice learning.
- Post-forum Reflection & Action – a series of post-session activities to support the learning process. This may include assignments and reviewing additional resources.
- Coaching and mentoring sessions – each participant will have a mentor to support their learning and project progress. Participants will connect regularly with their mentor during the program through progress reports, written feedback and online meetings. In addition, measurement coaching will be provided for participants as extra support in this topic area.
One of the most valuable resources is the combined experiences of the Quality Academy group forming a valuable network of expertise, and we’re hoping Quality Academy Online will be no different. Participants will be encouraged to participate fully in the learning activity forums and mentor sessions to connect with each other and core faculty members for the duration of the program.
Participants completing Quality Academy Online will receive a certificate of participation from us.
Dedicated Learning Management System
A dedicated area in our Learning Management System exists for Quality Academy Online resources. All course materials will be available including lessons, assignments, readings, templates, contact information, meeting links and a calendar of events.
Throughout the program, participants demonstrate acquired knowledge through leading the design, implementation and evaluation of an improvement project related to the mission, vision and values of their organizations. These projects allow for the application of course material throughout the program, while providing a supportive environment in which participants can test new ideas and ways of working. They also provide an immediate, tangible return on investment for the organization, in addition to the future benefits that are realized from the development of graduates. Projects are required to meet the following criteria:
- explicitly address one or more dimension of quality, based upon the BC Health Quality Matrix;
- aligns with the strategic or business plan of the organization;
- supported by an organizational Executive Sponsor;
- has a measurable aim statement;
- progress toward the aim can be made within six months;
- has the support of a clinical champion (where the project occurs in a clinical area);
- incorporates the patient perspective; and
- baseline data is available or can be obtained for the outcome measure.
We provide significant funding to support the program as part of our mandate to support education and capacity building for quality across the province. However, a registration fee of $995 plus taxes will be charged for all program participants.